Effective: January 29, 2020. Any references to “BuildingLink,” “we,” “our” or “us” refer to BuildingLink.com, LLC.
Customers and Users
Our “Customer” is typically a legal entity representing a building or property. Customers purchase or license one or more products or services that are part of the Platform.
You are a user of the Platform. BuildingLink collects information from our Customers and users on behalf of our Customers. There are many types of users, and each one has a unique relationship to the information that we collect. Users can include our Customers’ employees (building staff, maintenance personnel, managers, etc.), residents (tenants, owners, subtenants, guests, etc.), service providers (outside contractors, local businesses, etc.) and others. Each of these (and generally anyone who has a BuildingLink username and password) is considered a “Registered User”. Some users may not be Registered Users, such as a visitor to our public website.
Most Registered Users will be affiliated with one or more BuildingLink Customers (i.e., your building(s)). BuildingLink is the custodian of data on behalf of our Customers, with respect to most of the information we collect. Each Customer also determines its own policies regarding information collection, access, sharing and retention. Please contact the Customer if you have any questions regarding their privacy practices.
The Information we collect
In order for you to use the BuildingLink platform, we need to collect and process certain information. Most of this information is provided by our Customers or by you, when you use our Platform.
Finally, we receive some information from other Registered Users. An example would be when a Registered User submits or modifies the information and settings for various non-member 3rd parties, such as family members, roommates, or other people who are relevant to the building’s management and who they wish to submit through BuildingLink (e.g. housekeepers, cleaners, caretakers). There may also be personal information submitted by our Customers about our Registered Users that Registered Users cannot access directly.
The types of information we collect depend on your level of access and engagement with BuildingLink, as well as what BuildingLink products and services you and the Customer are using, and can include:
- Contact information such as names, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers
- Unique identifiers such as usernames, passwords, BuildingLink account numbers
- Digital capture of signatures
- Basic information submitted by you or on your behalf such as maintenance request descriptions, package tracking numbers or amenity reservation details
- Information uploaded by you such as documents attached to the BuildingLink library
- Your communications with us, such as your requests for customer support.
- Information about your usage such as IP addresses, browser type, date/time stamp and clickstream data
- Employment information for Customer employees (including title, bio/background, biometric information such as fingerprints)
- Photographs (of residents, employees, pets, visitors, maintenance request attachments)
- Scans (license, business card) in the context of building access
- Incident details and information
- Resident insurance (homeowner’s and renter’s) information
- Vehicle information
- Resident instructions (including permission to enter, parcel release)
Web Beacons / GIFs
Third party tracking technology companies employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifiable information.
Analytics / Log Files
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We do not link this automatically-collected data to personally identifiable information.
3rd Party Tracking
How we use the information
For users of our platform, we use the information we receive to:
- Provide the services our Customer requested
- Notify you of activity related to your account, such as when a package is delivered to the property for you
- Administer your account
- Keep your account secure (including to verify your identity and prevent fraud)
- Respond to customer service and support requests
- Create and provide better and improved products and services based on your use of the site and your feedback
- List you in our member directory made available only to other members of your building
- Conduct research and analysis
- Send you our newsletter, which you may unsubscribe from of at any time
For visitors requesting information about our products and services from one of our websites, we use the information we receive to:
- Assess the needs of your business to determine suitable products
- Send you requested product or service information
- Send you marketing communications
- Send you our newsletter, which you may unsubscribe from at any time.
If you provide us personal information about others, or if others give us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
European Union Users
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting, processing and transferring personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area (EEA). Our lawful bases include performance of our contract with our customers, user consent (which is always easy to withdraw), and our legitimate interests (except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of our EU users).
You can request a current list of service providers (sub-processors) here.
Your personal information is neither sold nor rented to third parties. In some cases, you may request that we transmit personal information to a partnered vendor, however, we will only do so if explicit permission is given by the user.
We do retain the right to share non-identifying aggregated demographic and/or statistical information with partners, advertisers, and sponsors.
We may use non-identifying and aggregate information to improve your experience on the website and to share with partners, advertisers and sponsors. For example, any personal information will remain with us, however, your visit may be counted to demonstrate the number of visitors to a particular page or area of the site.
Links to Third Party Sites
We may disclose your personal information:
- As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request
- If BuildingLink is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information
BuildingLink will only retain personal data we process on behalf of our Customers for as long as needed to provide services and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
User Access and Choice
Users residing in certain jurisdictions, including Europe and California, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. These rights include the right to access, correct and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable worldwide, all BuildingLink users can manage their personal information as described below.
You may access, correct, update, amend or remove certain personal information by making the change on your user account settings page or by requesting that your property manager (or other program administrator) make such change on your behalf. Your account is protected by a password. We encourage you to choose your password carefully and keep it secure. If you have trouble accessing your account or your information, you can contact BuildingLink by emailing our customer support team at email@example.com, or calling +1-877-501-7117.
If you wish to request your personal information be deleted/removed, please contact the BuildingLink Customer with whom you are affiliated (your building), if you are a representative of a BuildingLink Customer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a BuildingLink Customer and no longer require our service, please contact email@example.com. Termination of service proceedings are conducted offline and are subject to approval by our Customer, if you are a resident or staff user. We will respond to your request within thirty (30) days.
Our commitment to children’s privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our website is structured to attract anyone under 13.
The EU-U.S. Privacy Shield
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has jurisdiction over BuildingLink.com’s compliance with the Privacy Shield.
Data Protection Addendum
To assist our customers in the EEA in complying with applicable data protection legislation, we offer a Data Processing Addendum (DPA) to our Subscription Agreement. To request a DPA, click here.
Data Protection Officer
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Information Protection and Electronic Data Act (“PIPEDA”)
For our Canadian Customers, BuildingLink shall act in accordance with the privacy provisions contained in the PIPEDA.
California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)
California residents have certain rights with respect to personal information, as set forth in Cal. Civ. Code 1798.100 et seq. This Privacy Statement addresses those California-specific rights as applied to the CCPA-covered information, including the right to request information about the personal information we collect and share and to request access to and deletion of such information consistent with the provisions of the law (see User Access and Choice section).
BuildingLink does not sell or rent personal information of our users to third-parties (see Aggregated Information section).
Please contact us at email@example.com, (toll-free) 877-501-7117, or by clicking here should you wish to make any of the above requests regarding your personal information.
Changes to this policy
Postal Address BuildingLink.com
LLC85 Fifth Avenue, Floor 3
New York, N.Y. 10003Phone (877) 501-7117 or (212) 501-7117
Call 9am-5pm EST
Fax (212) 501-8222